Winter is no doubt the coldest seasons of all seasons, and this means that some house may have areas that need a little help in the warmth department. The solution most people think of is a space heater. The reason is that space heaters are compact, portable and newer models are energy efficient. The fact stands that there is nothing that as some pros without its cons and space heater own is the risk of fire. According to a research conducted by National Fire Protection Association, it shows that more home fires occur in December, January, and February than any other month of the year. Behind smoking and electrical shorts, space heaters rank third among the top three causes of house fires.
To prevent these fire risks, follow these simple safety tips
- Make sure that you place all space heaters a minimum of 3ft from anything that could be flammable.
- Never be tempted to dry clothes, socks or shoes near a space heater as they could easily catch fire.
- Never use space heaters for anything other than providing supplemental heat.
- Use only the proper fuel for a fuel-burning space heater. For example, don’t burn any different type of fuel in kerosene heaters as they are only designed to burn only kerosene.
- Turn off all space heaters when the room is empty, and turn off all space heaters before going to bed for the night.
- When buying a new space heater, be sure to look for built-in safety features such as heating element guards and automatic shutoff features.
- Pets and children should be carefully supervised around space heaters. These appliances get very hot, and children or pets can easily be burned severely.
- If considering a kerosene heater, be sure to check with the local fire company first.
- Carefully check all electric space heaters or signs of frayed wires, broken wires, overheating or frayed insulation.
- When adding fuel to a fuel powered space heater, always allow the heater to cool completely before adding additional fuel.
- Many municipalities do not allow such heaters in their communities.
- Try to avoid using an extension cord with an electric space heater as cords like this must be used, be sure to choose an industrial strength cord and make sure you use the right gauge size for the Air conditioning repair Los Angeles.
Whether it’s your bedroom, bathroom or living room, if you have an older central heating system, some form of supplemental heating may be unavoidable during the winter. Make sure that everyone in your household is aware of the safety precautions that should be taken when using space heat